Christmas in July?
If you’re thinking of a Blue (Note) Christmas, now’s the time to plan.
Early calendar notes from the club at the Outrigger Waikiki resort include a surprise.
- Wayne Newton, pictured, he of “Danke Schoen” a Las Vegas megastar for decades known for his “Danke Schoen” hit, will headline six shows Dec. 8, 9, and 10. It’ll be his Blue Note debut. Performances will be at 6 and 9 p.m., with tickets priced at $125 for premium seating and $85 for loge and bar. He might not have that big band of the years past, but he’ll have a lot of now-nostalgic music to share.
- Sheila E. & the E-Train choo-choos in Dec. 13 and 14, with shows at 6:30 and 9 p.m. Tickets are $55 premium, $45 loge and bar.
- Don McLean, pictured, returns for a pair of shows at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 2 and 3. Of course he’ll serve his iconic “American Pie.” Tickets are $125 premium, $65 loge and bar.
Local acts also dot the holiday roster at Blue Note. Among them:
- Mike Lewis presents the 7th Annual Frank Sinatra Tribute Show, at 7 p.m. Dec. 12. Tickets are $35 premium, $25 loge and bar.
- Ho‘okena features guest singer Maila Gibson, in a pair of performances at 4 and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 17. Tickets are $45 premium, $35 loge and bar.
- Mike Lewis stages the 7th Annual ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas,” at 6:30 and 9:30 p.m. Dec. 24 and 25. Tickets: $35 premium and $25 loge and bar.
Surely, there will be other holiday shows announced in the weeks ahead, but these early-bird signings might prod early buying.
Reservations: www.bluenotehawaii.com or (808) 777-4890. …
Singer Shari Lynn, pictured, and pianist Jim Howard return to the Hilton Hawaiian Village’s Paradise Lounge, from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday (July 15).
She was to appear July 1, but she had a medical incident after she performed at the recent memorial at Diamond Head Theatre for theater veteran Bree Bumatai Peters, that required an ER visit and hospitalization and subsequent doctor visits. She’s recovering nicely, hence raring to return to her mike and the spotlight.
Her buddy Mary Gutzi, pictured, who happened to be in town, subbed for her at the Paradise Lounge, but that’s what friends are for. Gutzi will get more Paradise Lounge time when she’s featured again July 22 and 29, with Howard as accompanist. She’s a keen actress with Broadway creds, but she’ll take detour to South Korea at the end of September to portray Mother Superior in the musical comedy, “Sister Act.” …
And that’s Show Biz. …