Just home from a splendid Thai dinner at Chef Chai’s on Kapiolani Blvd.
Chai Chaowasaree outdid himself with a sumptuous seven-course meal. He said the fare was stuff from his childhood — authentic dishes with incredible flavors. A happy memory, now a reimagined feast for Hawaii diners.
The lineup included:
* Kai Satay — chicken tenderloin on sticks, with peanut sauce, with a cucumber salad accompaniment, plus Asian flat bread.
* Po pia tod — crispy Thai spring rolls of shrimp, ground pork, onions and mushrooms, with lettuce, cucumbers and flavored sauce.
* Som tum — green papaya salad, seasoned with garlic, tamarind dressing, dried shrimp, long beans and tomato, with gigantic shrimp chip for crunch.
* Tom kah kai — a creamy lemongrass soup with chicken and mushrooms and coconut milk.
* Pra lad pik — crispy whole fish with chili ginger sauce and scallions.
* Pad Thai koong — noodles with shrimp, chicken, tofu, bean sprouts, chives and chopped peanuts.
* Khao neou mamoung — Thai sticky rice with coconut milk and sweet mango slices.
This special menu is served family style; cost is $67 per person, with seatings at 4 p.m. and at 7:30 p.m.. through Sunday (July 30).
Wayne and Vi, at Chef Chai’s Thai menu night.
Reservations required at www.chefchai.com or (808) 585-0011; credit card required to assure seating.